Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's time for the inevitable...

"Maternity leave" is almost over. Okay, so it wasn't technically maternity leave. I certainly wasn't receiving any disability pay during this time. I was just in between finishing college and starting a job. And guess what? I found a job! Woo-hoo! And we're moving to Oregon for that job and we are very very excited.

Now I am soon to face the many dilemmas that working moms must confront:

1. Who will take care of Ivan and Adelle? Simple. Daddy will! We're a bit unconventional around here and Jesse is going to be a stay-at-home-dad until further notice. Jesse will continue to do what he does best: working from home, being his own boss, playing with toys, and making Adelle and Ivan laugh and smile.

2. Will I continue to breastfeed or switch to formula? Will I pump at work? I guess I'm going to continue to breastfeed and I will have to pump at work. Although it isn't the easiest thing to do, I believe it's healthiest for Ivan. Ivan isn't tolerant of dairy or soy and I would probably have to spend a small fortune buying some kind of hypoallergenic formula. I'm not even considering it at this point.

3. How will Jesse get Ivan to sleep when I'm gone? Well, it's time for some tough love. This is the part I've been dreading the most! Like most breastfed babies he often falls asleep nursing. This is very nice, easy, and involves no crying. Unfortunately Daddy can't replace me on this one and it's time to start a sleep routine that doesn't involve nursing. We've decided to try letting him "cry it out" after a routine of rocking and singing a bit. It goes against my nature to not cuddle and soothe him to sleep but I understand that it could lead to him learning to soothe himself. We just started a few days ago and it's a bit early to evaluate the method but I think it will probably work. I'll give an update in a few days on the situation.

4. How will I balance work and family? I have to admit that I don't think it will be too hard. I've always planned on being a working mom and I believe that when I get a "break" from home I come back refreshed and a better parent and wife. Although working isn't exactly a vacation, it is still a break from being a mom. Although a huge part of my self-identity is being a mom, it's very important to me that I still get to live out other parts of my identity such as my interest in all things pertaining to the medical field. I can't wait to start my cytotech job!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

We'll miss you so much!! Hope sleep training with Ivan is going well. I know how painful it can be, but so worth it for Mommy and baby alike. Excited for your new adventures!!

Holladay Duplex said...

You're moving?!! When? We're going to miss you, too, but I'm happy that you found a job you're excited about!