Ivan is a really picky eater and won't eat most fruits and vegetables in their natural form. I blame it on the fact that he didn't get his first tooth until he was 15 months old. This meant he still had to eat mushy baby food well after a year old. Imagine a 15 month old who can't chew up cooked green beans or grapes or oranges? The result was he was old enough to reject these foods by the time he was able to eat them.
My solution has been to hide pureed fruits and veggies in muffins, breads, sauces, smoothies, ect. My latest recipe is so bizarre that I have to share it with you. A coworker of mine suggested it. Let's call them Spinach Cupcakes :)
Take a package of Devils food cake mix and prepare using the recipe on the box. But also add an entire 10 ounce package of frozen spinach and an entire can of beets. You must squeeze the excess water out of the spinach and drain the beets as well as puree them. I used the eggs and oil called for in the recipe to help blend the vegetables. I know it sounds crazy but the chocolate covers the flavor of the vegetables really well. Ivan and Adelle both loved them. I can taste a hint of spinach but what really matters is that the kids are eating them!
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago



4 comments:
WILD! I'm gonna try it. Do you puree the spinach, too?
Yup, puree the spinach.
I can't believe it! I have spinach and applesauce in the fridge for that very reason. It never occurred to me to use cake mix. And, I guess chocolate is the one that will do the trick! Thanks!
I was just going to do this very thing with muffins; it never occurred to me to use cake mix. Thanks!
Post a Comment