Ivan's first birthday is just around the corner and I can finally say I'm back to 95% of my old self. Physically, emotionally, and psychologically.
Damn it feels great. It took longer to recover from pregnancy the second time around. I was so busy with moving, work, and two children that I didn't have as much time for good quality exercise. Sure, grocery shopping and breastfeeding burns calories but it doesn't do much for building muscle and endurance. My lifestyle was basically turning me into a caffeine slurping squishy mess. Skinny, but squishy.
A few months ago I started riding my bike to work which is about 10 miles round trip. I started out twice a month. Yep, you read that correct. I didn't enjoy it in the beginning. I wimped out constantly and told Jesse that I was just too tired. He reminded me that if I kept it up I would eventually have more energy than before. And I would remind him that I'm sooooo tired.
I VERY GRADUALLY increased to 6-8 times a month. I give most of the credit to discovering the shower at my work and having good music on my iPod. I'm very proud of myself. And guess what? I have a lot more energy. I must also mention that I weaned Ivan nearly 2 months ago and I felt some energy return from that as well.
Lucky me, I work with a few people who are into fitness and Jesse has also been exercising a lot this summer. Hearing about their long walks, bike rides, and marathon training has rubbed off on me. A few months before I got pregnant with Ivan I was running 3-5 miles a few times a week. I decided it was time to start building up to that again. And Jesse even said he would run a 5K with me next month.
I bought myself a decent pair of running shoes and I went running 4 times in the last week and a half. I feel fantastic! I feel so good that I honestly can't wait to go run again. So, if you have been telling yourself that you don't have the energy to work out (like I was), make the time to do it and I promise you will have more energy soon.
Oh, and one more thing. If you're reading this and you're currently pregnant or have a newborn baby I say, take it easy. In fact, demand that someone rub your feet RIGHT NOW.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago



4 comments:
Thank you for that last paragraph. I was about to send you hate mail.
So glad you're doing so well!! I've started riding my bike as well. I've worked up to about 5 miles which isn't a ton, but it feels great!!
That is awesome! I really hope I have your level of motivation for exercise post pregnancy. I know exactly what you mean by "skinny but squishy."
Now, if only I can find a foot rubber :)
Thanks. Betsy is 8 months now, and this is the first week that I even feel like I semi have things together - I worked out 4 times, the house is basically clean, and I even went grocery shopping with two kids and hauled all the stuff through Mesa by myself. Yeah, it doesn't look that impressive in print.
Post a Comment