Monday, July 27, 2009

Conversations with Adelle

Adelle: Can I make my own dinner?

Me: No, I'll make it.

Adelle: Please? I wanna make my own sandwich. I know how!

Me: No. (not feeling patient enough for this)

Adelle: Well, people learn by watching other people cook and I've been watching you for months!

Me: (laughing) Okay then. You can make a turkey and cheese sandwich. (She often gets her way by making an intelligent argument that makes me laugh)

Adelle: Okay!

So, I patiently watched Adelle prepare her own sandwich. I try very hard to just let her do her thing and limit my commentary/advice on how to do it. This involves biting my tongue when the mayonnaise spreading went on for what seemed like 2 whole minutes. In the end she did a great job and she learned how to make a sandwich, a very necessary skill for survival.

After she ate her sandwich she said, "Can I have a piece of chicken all by itself?"

Me: Sure, but it's turkey.

Adelle: (after taking a bite) This is kinda like eating a deer!

5 comments:

cassie said...

too funny!!!!!

erin said...

You are an awesome mommy. :)

Momisodes said...

ROFL! That is adorable.

You are such a wonderful, PATIENT mom.

Jeannette said...

Adelle is a good debater! Already!!

Valerie said...

So cute!! So typical Adele, thoughtful, intelligent. Graton has been letting Audrey make food by herself, and she's so proud. One morning, after making scrambled eggs (with some supervision), she said, "I feel like I'm 13!" Lately, she's been getting up before me, and "making breakfast" She sets the table and pours cereal and milk for everyone. It's kinda nice :)