One of my favorite blogs is www.dooce.com. I've been following it for four years now. She recently gave birth to her second child and posted a description of what it is like:
"I think the best way to describe what it's been like to bring a second child into the family is to imagine having a jazz band blasting an improvisational set in your left ear while listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Christmas carols in your right ear, and there you are, a drummer in a rock band, and you're on stage in front of 30,000 people trying to keep the beat to an acoustic version of "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols."
When I read that I pictured myself, 4 days post-partum, sitting in my nursing chair trying to feed Ivan with my sore cracked nipples while he cries and Adelle wants to sit by me and all I can think about is a sandwich and a shower.
Ivan will be 10 months old on Monday. Juggling two kids has become much easier now and we have definitely found our rhythm. I still have my moments when I'm so tired and everyone wants my attention and all I can think is "me! me! me!" but if I just tough it out for a little longer the kids will go to bed and I can eat some chocolate and take a shower and then everything is okay again.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago



4 comments:
It's amazing how you can go from sheer insanity to actually feeling like you have some freedom again. Now that Alyssa's two, I feel like I have my life back in a lot of ways.Ironically, that freedom both makes it easy and difficult to contemplate having a third. Easy, because one no longer feels overwhelmed, but difficult, because one hasn't forgotten how overwhelmed one felt.
Thanks, Melissa.
agreed 100%!!!! try it with 4 kids..ages 3,4,5,& 6. It gets interesting. I wanna hide in a closet with an invisible cloak!
thanks. earlier today i actually googled "mommy brain fuzz" and was very happy to see that i'm not the only one.
Post a Comment