Jesse and I have decided to "home school" our kids. I put that in quotes because we are going to use Connections Academy, an on-line public education. It's sort of a compromise between homeschooling and public school.
There are many reasons we came to this decision. Among them are:
1. We want to have more control over Adelle's education.
2. We want her to be challenged academically and be able to move at her own pace.
3. We don't want her to sit in a desk all day.
4. We want to limit her interaction with poorly behaved children.
5. We want Adelle to be involved in a lot of activities without the burden of fitting them in around a full-time school schedule.
6. We want to make sure that all of Adelle's talents and potential are fully realized.
7. We want her to spend a lot of time outdoors learning things hands on.
Jesse and I have had a fantastic experience teaching Adelle at home. We have found that because we know her so well that we can tell when her attention span is at it's best and take advantage of that time. When Adelle is "ready" for learning her brain is a sponge and she can learn new concepts incredibly fast. Because of our teaching style we believe that only a fraction of the time is necessary to home school compared to traditional public education.
There is no doubt that homeschooling is a huge undertaking. Lucky for me, my wonderful and devoted husband has committed himself to being the primary educator during the week. After seeing his consistency with teaching Adelle over the years I have no doubt that she will get a fantastic education.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago



3 comments:
Good reasons. Adelle will be safer too. She will be at college level way before age 18. So will that little "feisty" Ivan. (why isn't i before e on feisty?)
I hadn't heard of Connections Academy, but it looks very similar to an online school that my sister-in-law does with her four children. She's been really happy with it. (It's called "K12"). Doesn't look like it exists in VA yet, bummer. I've been looking into homeschooling in VA, and there are some resources, but doesn't look like it's as progressive as CA and OR. We're going to give it a shot, however.
Audrey is always talking about how well Adele can draw. I'm sure Adele will continue to thrive with your great parenting!!
That's a great list of reasons to homeschool =) I'm sure that Adelle is in very capable hands and I hope that the experience works out well for all of you!
Post a Comment