For some, this might sound absurd but here's the end result: around $1200 in money saved and about 6000-7000 fewer diapers in the landfill.
Now, those are the main two reasons for my decision but I couldn't possibly do this without purchasing easy-to-use modern cloth diapers and owning my own washer and dryer.
Here's what the diapers look like:



They're one size fits 9-25 pounds and they have a pocket where you can stuff an insert made out of just about anything. These came with microfiber inserts. The inner lining is soft fleece and the outer lining is a waterproof polyurethane vinyl. Most importantly they have velcro tabs. I bought these diapers with Daddy in mind as well. I didn't want it to be any harder to put on or take off than a disposable.
Usually in the US these run about $15-20 each but I found a knock-off brand from China on eBay and bought 30 of them for $128 dollars. That's about $4.25 each and at that price I was able to buy enough that I won't have to do laundry every day. I did a lot of research and they had some pretty great reviews. They may only last through one child due to the lower quality but this is most likely our last kid.
I also bought some cloth baby wipes from a SAHM on etsy.com, a used wipes warmer, some used cloth pre-fold diapers, some used super absorbent hemp inserts for overnight, and I borrowed a few newborn size covers from a friend. Total I've only spent about $200 on cloth diapering supplies. It will only take about 4 months of use before I start saving money!
I'll give an update in a few months on how it's working out!



3 comments:
I had gauze cotton diapers and a mini washer that twisted them up in knots - plus rubber pants and a clothesline. This was with Michelle many moons ago. I like the new versions way way better. Good luck - I hope it's a big success!!
So cool! Love the colors!
My daughter uses the 'original' diapers yours are modeled on. Her baby is eight months old and the method is working so well. Her huband added a sprayer (like a kitchen sink sprayer) to the water supply line at their toilet, and everything solid gets "sprayed' into the toilet and flushed, and then the diapers washed. They too are loving the savings. She also makes her own wipes. You must 'gear up' for this method, but once you do, its a piece of cake. I admit I was skeptical in the beginning (I remember the old paradigm) but it seems so easy now. Hanging them out in the sun really keeps the liners white and not drying the covers in the dryer keeps the elastic pliable. She is putting away her first set (small size) and they look brand new. The saving with baby #2 will only be multiplied. If you need a supplies, check out 'Baby Cotton Bottoms'. Very helpful, very nice , great line of products (I am in no way associated with Baby Cotton Bottoms - it's just where my daughter buys her supplies.)
An impressed nonna
Post a Comment