Friday, October 9, 2009

Sigh...


I'm sad to say that we decided to get rid of our dog Cowboy. We found him a better home where he will have 150 acres to roam and sheep and cows to herd. He will be happier there than he was tied up in our small backyard.

We tried. We really really tried our best. But with two small kids and jobs we couldn't give him the attention he needed. The last two weeks with him were rough. He ate part of Jesse's dirtbike tire. Then he discovered that the fence around our rental house was weak and old and easy to destroy and get out. So we had to tie him up which we felt terrible about doing. Then he chewed through the wires for our internet and cable TV that run along the side of the house despite the new chew toys we gave him.

The poor dog was bored! His breed (a Blue Heeler) is a working dog that is very smart and has gobs of energy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find enough time and energy in our insane schedule to give him as much exercise as he needed. And we realized that with winter soon approaching the situation wasn't going to improve.

The reason we got him was so that he could be our guard dog after a break in we had in April. He was great for that. But now after 6 months, new motion sensor lights, alarms on the doors, and practicing shooting Jesse's handgun I think I'll be able to sleep okay at night even without Cowboy keeping guard. I'm going to miss him though. I spent 6 months getting him to the point where he would lay in my lap and calm the f*$! down so I could pet him and hug him. I think I was even getting close to him letting me clip his nails. Ah well. Sigh.

Time for a cat? Hmmmm....

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Dogs are a lot of work! Audrey wants one so bad. But after watching my friend here, and all the hassle her dog is, I don't think this is the right time in our lives. Maybe a cat will work better for you.
P.S. What ever happened to your intruder? Was he sentenced?

Leah said...

Sorry to hear about Cowboy!! I'm sure you did the right thing for him, although that doesn't make it any easier :(

Unknown said...

Valerie- sentenced to a year and a half in state prison. He might get out as early as May.

erin said...

Cats are self-tending.
If I had it to do over, I would NOT get another dog. EVER.

Kara said...

We just gave our dog away, too, because my son was allergic. And then we got her back 5 days later. It didn't quite work out to say the least! I hope Cowboy has better luck at his new home!