Friday, April 3, 2009

Sorry, but that was fun!

On April 1st, 2003 I received a phone call in the early a.m. hours from a police officer stating that my car had been involved in a hit and run accident. I was so angry because I had sold that car the previous Fall before moving to California. I tried to explain that I was no longer the owner of the car, that I was in a different state at the time of the accident, and that there was no way I was responsible for the crime. Once I started getting really upset my dad got on the phone and said, "April Fools!" It took me a second to even comprehend that it could possibly be a joke. My dad had had a friend impersonate an officer for him. Wait, isn't that illegal?

So, this year, on a whim I decided to have Jesse Photoshop my name onto an ultrasound picture of a twin pregnancy and post it as an April Fools joke. I never thought so many people would go for it. Maybe I'm hyper-aware of April 1st because my dad always played tricks on me. I just assumed no one would take me seriously given the date!

I got both of my parents, my brother, my mother-in-law, several of my friends, and a few coworkers. Twins don't even run in the family guys.

However, my sister-in-law didn't fall for it. She called my bluff and e-mailed me back saying that she was pregnant too! She told a very convincing story and I thought she was probably serious. Jesse did too.

My dad called me after learning from my mom that it was a joke and called me a "little brat" several times. He said his heart was racing and he had immediately thought, "Now we'll have to move to Oregon! They're going to need our help!"

I think we're even now.

3 comments:

Mollie said...

I read it a day late, so it didn't even click that it was an april fools joke, and I fell for it for the few seconds before I could read the last line, because by then you had also posted "april fools" at the end of the post. But when I saw Sam that night, I asked if he had read your blog. "Yeah, twins, can you believe it?" Apparently he could too. So funny.

erin said...

I'm just glad I wasn't alone...

Heather said...

Awesome prank!

Twins don't run in my family, but I still worry that I'm rockin' a deuce in here. I feel so pregnant, even at only 7 weeks! And even though I'm not eating any more than I was before (just healthier, and more frequently), I'm gaining about a pound a week. Hopefully it's just one, please please please let it just be one!