Friday, November 14, 2008

Sleeping

I swear Ivan KNOWS that if I've decided to go back to sleep at 6:00 am he will only sleep for five minutes. However, if I've decided that I don't think he'll sleep very long and that I will stay up, he will sleep for 3 more hours. I sit there, watching him in his swing trying to make a decision. He looks like he's out, wait, nope, his eyes fluttered open and he grunted. Okay, I'm staying up, time to caffeinate myself and be productive. I make myself some coffee, sit down, and he seems to be in a deep sleep. Crap. I should just go back to bed. Then he stirs again, tossing his head around. I start sipping my coffee. Five minutes later he hasn't moved. Can I still go back to sleep? I only drank a little coffee. Okay, it's 6:10, if he doesn't move again by 6:15 I'll go back to bed. Ivan tosses his head around, grunts and I hear him fill his pants. Was that just gas? Or, do I need to change his diaper? Wow, now he looks like he's really asleep. I'm going back to bed. I get back to bed and just as I'm falling asleep I hear a little voice, "I'm hungry Mama, can I have that chocolate ice cream I never tried before?" "Not for breakfast honey. How about Froot Loops?" (They have slightly less sugar)

Whenever this happens I try to make the most of my sleepy, but awake, mornings but all day I keep thinking...I could have gone back to sleep. All the baby books tell you: Sleep when Baby sleeps. Ha! Easier said than done.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

You really captured that constant second-guessing that drives us Moms to distraction! Our children are such unpredictable little creatures! Good thing, they're soo cute!